The following are requisites for an attorney to become a member of the bar of this district:
- A completed Petition for Admission
- $205 fee
Upon receipt of the above, the application will be submitted to the Chief Judge, or designee, for review. If the application is granted, the attorney will be added to the list of attorneys admitted to practice in this district, and the attorney will receive a certificate of admission. To expedite the process, petitions will be submitted and fee payments will be made electronically. The electronic process of submission began June 1, 2015, and became mandatory on October 1, 2015.
Before submitting the Petition for Admission, please be certain that all of the attorney admission requirements are met. Failure to comply with all of the requirements will delay the processing of your petition. Common mistakes include:
- 1. Missing original signature(s).
- Note that manuscript signatures are required on all submitted paperwork.
- 2. Incomplete sponsor statement.
- A statement of a sponsoring attorney of the Bar of this court is required. The sponsoring attorney's statement must include:
- when the sponsoring attorney was admitted to practice in this court,
- under what circumstances the attorney has known the applicant,
- that the attorney knows the applicant to be of good character and reputation, and
- that the attorney believes the applicant to be well qualified as a member of the Bar of this court. For applicants residing in another state, the sponsor may be a judge of a court of record of that state, or a federal judge.
- The sponsoring attorney (or judge) must sign and date the statement.
- 3. Requests for waiver of sponsorship that do not meet the criteria.
- A waiver of sponsorship, which is item #7 on the Petition for Admission, is applicable to recent law school graduates only. See Local Civil Rule 83.1(d)(ii)
Prior to seeking admission, you must familiarize yourself with the Local Rules.
To submit a Petition for Admission:
- Complete the Petition for Admission. Most of the pertinent information can be completed on-line using the fillable form.
- Because we are a mandatory e-filing court, most applicants also register for e-filing at the same time. As you complete the Petition for Admission form on-line, most of the e-filing registration form will simultaneously complete as well. When the forms are complete, print the forms.
- Sign both forms with a manuscript signature (graphic and other electronic signatures are discouraged).
- Scan the forms into PDF format. If applicable, scan any additional documents that will accompany the Petition for Admission.
- E-mail the completed forms to email@example.com, with a subject of: Petition for Admission - [Attorney Name]
- Upon receipt of the completed forms, the Attorney Admissions Clerk will contact you with further instructions regarding how to make electronic payment of the admission fee. The electronic process accepts payment by bank account (ACH) or debit or credit card.
To register for e-filing only (attorney is already a member of the Bar of this court):
- Complete the E-filing Registration form. Most of the pertinent information can be completed on-line using the fillable form.
- Print, then sign the form with a manuscript signature (graphic and other electronic signatures are discouraged).
- Scan the form into PDF format.
- E-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a subject of: E-filing Registration - [Attorney Name].
- Upon receipt of the completed form, the ECF Help Desk will contact you via e-mail with further instructions.
If we can answer any questions, please contact the Clerk's Office at (616) 456-2381.