You are here

FAQs: imigration

  • What is the Different Between a Certificate of Citizenship and a Certificate of Naturalization?

    A Certificate of Citizenship is a document issued by the U.S. government as proof of U.S. citizenship. An individual who obtained U.S. citizenship either by action of law while residing in the United States, or by having been born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents, has the right to apply for a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship. A Certificate of U.S. Naturalization is a document issued by the U.S. government as proof of a person having obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization. Copies of both forms must be obtained through USCIS.

  • How can I get a copy of my name change petition?

    Information on obtaining a copy of your name change petition can be found here.

  • The passport agency requires proof of my citizenship. I lost my documents. What should I give them?

    The best we can do is to provide you with a certified letter verifying your naturalization in our court. Check with the passport agency to find out whether it is acceptable to them.

  • I was naturalized with my parents years ago. Can I get a certified letter or replacement certificate from you?

    Our court does not maintain any records of minor children who were naturalized with their parents. Please contact the USCIS for more information.

  • I lost my citizenship certificate. How do I get a replacement?

    Please contact the USCIS directly. Meanwhile, we can provide you with a certified letter verifying that you were naturalized in the US District Court for the Western District of Michigan if you were naturalized as an adult in our court. The charge is $11.00 or $11.50, depending on the number of pages, and advance payment is required. Contact or phone 616-456-2381. Include your name as it was when you were naturalized, previous name if applicable, approximate date of admission, and payment information.

  • I mailed my application for citizenship many months ago but I haven’t heard anything. Can you help me?

    Unfortunately, no. Please contact the USCIS directly to inquire about the delay in processing your case.

  • I need citizenship applications, children’s applications, alien registration cards, where can I get them?

    We have no USCIS forms. Please contact them directly at, or call1-800-375-5283 (call center) or 1-800-870-3676 (to request forms).

  • I need copies of old naturalization records (early 1900's). Do you have them?

    We do not have naturalization records prior to 1920. Please see the Genealogy page for information on old naturalization records. For additional information, contact the National Archives and Record Administration located in Chicago, Illinois, or the county court where the person resided at the time they were naturalized. The National Archives website can be accessed here.